US-based students have the opportunity to apply for financial travel support to attend the TQC conference and the NISQ workshop.
The deadline for applications is Sunday, May 12, 2019. Decisions will be communicated by May 15, 2019. Applications received after May 12 may be considered if funds are still available.
We encourage all students to register by May 6 in order to get the early-bird registration rate.
Please read the following instructions carefully, and in full, for information on how to apply.
TQC 2019 gratefully acknowledges travel support from NSF (grant CCF-1928367) that will partially support the costs of traveling to and attending the TQC 2019 conference and NISQ workshop at the University of Maryland, College Park for US-based students with substantial need. Grants will range up to US $700 though the actual award may vary based on the number and need of successful applicants.
To apply for funding, please fill out this online form by Sunday, May 12, 2019 (23:59 AoE) according to the following instructions.
Applicants will be required to submit the following information:
- A brief statement justifying the need for funding.
- A brief resume indicating current position, highest degree obtained, prior publications and their relevance to TQC and/or NISQ.
- A statement declaring gender and membership in an under-represented group, if applicable.
- A supporting statement sent directly by the student’s referee (e.g., advisor) to email@example.com, which should confirm the student’s eligibility and the referee’s commitment to obtaining additional funding (if applicable) to support the student’s attendance and TQC and/or NISQ. This supporting statement must be received by Sunday, May 12 for the application to be considered complete.
Preference will be given to the following applicants:
- Authors/co-authors of accepted papers and posters at TQC 2019 and the NISQ workshop who otherwise do not have the financial needs to attend the conference.
- Participants from institutions not typically represented at TQC.
- Student applications that demonstrate a strong case for the benefits of attending the TQC conference and/or NISQ workshop.
In an effort to diversify the participants for TQC and NISQ, 20% of the awards will be specifically reserved for applicants from under-represented groups.
Awardees will be decided by a committee comprising of:
- Carl Miller (National Institute of Standards and Technology)
- Yi-Kai Liu (National Institute of Standards and Technology)
- Gorjan Alagic (University of Maryland, College Park; Local Committee co-chair)
- Aarthi Sundaram (University of Maryland, College Park; Local Committee co-chair)
Important comments for applicants:
- To be eligible, students must be US-based, as per NSF policy.
- For airfare to be reimbursed, flights must be on US carriers only.
- Reimbursement for accommodation is based on the expectation of shared accommodation.
- We strongly encourage students to register for the event as soon as possible.
- In case of an unsuccessful application that will inhibit the student from attending the conference, we will consider refunding the registration fees (when refund is applied for within 7 days of notification on application status).
- Please note that this award supports travel costs (such as airfare and lodging) only.
For any questions pertaining to student support, please contact Aarthi Sundaram (firstname.lastname@example.org)